I’m Grateful for Them Every Day

by Gordon Krater on November 20, 2012

“Thanksgiving, man…not a good day to be my pants.” –Kevin James

I saw that quote from Kevin James and thought, “Yeah…that’s about right.” Funny as it is, however, Thanksgiving is about so much more than turkey and napping and football (all three of which are thoroughly enjoyed at my house). It is, as its name implies, a time to take a step back and recognize all of the blessings in one’s life. Here are just a few of the things I’m thankful for this holiday season:

• My family. I was fortunate to have a very functional family growing up, and my parents set wonderful examples for me. I’m so very grateful for my wife, who is my best friend, and our four children, whose humor is often at our expense. We have a lot of fun together, and as they’ve grown, they’ve become each others’ best friends. That’s been wonderful to see.
  • My health. I had a health scare a few years back, and I’m so grateful for the doctors who have helped me through it.
  • My freedom. Although I’m ecstatic to be able to pick up the phone and find someone I want to talk to versus someone endorsing one candidate or another, I’m so thankful for the freedom we have to choose our leaders—to express our opinions publicly without concerns for personal safety.
  • My profession. I’m fortunate to work in a profession that demands that we do the right thing. I love to come to work in the morning, and it makes me a little sad to think that there are people out there who’ll never experience the joy of doing something one loves at a place one loves.
  • Our staff. Plante Moran has some of the most talented people anywhere working tirelessly to serve the needs of our clients to the best of their ability. And they’re great, caring people. They make my job easy, and I’m grateful for them every day.

I’m also thankful for the Detroit Tigers (who would’ve thought they’d make the World Series?), U of M basketball, (Go Blue!), and those who give their time, talent, and treasures to those who are less fortunate. That’s wonderful to see.

How about you? What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? And who else out there could use a pair of pants with a little elasticity?

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dave Porter November 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I’m thankful for great Clients, we are so fortunate to be able to serve companies that value our time and our staff.

I’m thankful that I am working for a company that cares.

I’m thankful for being married to my wife who takes care of everything when I am away.

I am thankful that my Mom is still living… unassisted at 89

I am thankful for my Family… children, grandchildren, daughter in laws and my daughter’s partner

Life is good.

2 Patricia Austin November 21, 2012 at 7:41 am

I am also thankful for the many blessings of our children, grandchidren, family, and friends. Very high on my list is the priviledge to serve our staff and clients. The recent expansion of the Plante Moran family has introduced new challenges but I already see our P&M staff reaching out to assist and bridge the gap.

3 Craig Zampa November 21, 2012 at 8:02 am

Thanks for sharing those uplifting thoughts. It is great to see you share with such candor and I hope many can appreciate it. Doing what you love on a daily basis is the ultimate “win” and having a j-o-b is no way to live long term though most of us go through a period where that is the case. Hope you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

4 Brian Kirby November 21, 2012 at 8:04 am

Gordon, like you I’m thankful for family and health. Two things we take for granted sometimes. Also, I’m thankful to be coaching basketball for three years now to the great kids at Sacred Heart in Dearborn.

5 Matthew Ulrich November 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I am thankful for:
A wonderful family that loves and supports me
My health
Financial stability
A great job working with fantastic people
Living in Cleveland

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year and I am so happy to not have to host dinner this year.

Have a great holiday everyone!

6 Amy Forester November 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I am thankful for:
My Kids
Words With Friends
My family
Snooze button
NPR
My health
PTO
Amazon.com
My family’s health
Biggby Coffee in the morning
Bell’s Beer at night
A good job
Good clients, Good staff, Good times.

7 Suzanne Hooley November 21, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I’m thankful to read such positive information … and I’m thankful for those who write it! Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insight!
I’m thankful for the simple things in daily life … especially sunrises and sunsets; like fingerprints, no two are exactly alike. I’m thankful that I live and work in a metropolitan area where one can actually SEE the sunrises and sunsets … they’re not obstructed by tall buildings, or the chaos and busy-ness of a large city. I’m thankful for my life, the lives of my family and friends, the purpose that each of us serve, and the unique ways in which we are woven together.

8 Mike Tong Program Manager China November 22, 2012 at 3:53 am

I am thankful for the chance to visit in US from year 2004 to 2005 and catch up the thanksgiving holiday in 2004, during which I was invited by a big family in Toledo Ohio so I could see how people celebrate for their holiday season…

I am thankful for receiving an email form you to share your caring much and inspiring thoughts to all of us. It is great company and has great people to work with.

I am thankful for the leadership of Lou Longo, very professional, talented and caring much of people. Still remember he sent a warmly welcome letter to me when I was just hired by the company and sent a greeting letter to all of us for a Chinese holiday…

I am also thankful for the leadership and help of Alex He, China Country Manager, to me, as a new employee to join in the PM family in June. I am most inspired by Alex’s professional dedication, doing the right things and caring a lot about our clients…

We have a great team in China, very talented staff, and Bodong, sometimes his humor words during the lunch makes everyone laugh and happy… I am grateful to work with such a great team.

Moreover, I am also thankful for new election of the President of China, I believe he could bring more helpful thoughts to China and maybe the world in the coming years.

I am thankful – so far there is no war on the Fishing Islands. and I hope all people around world have a peaceful life!

Have a wonderful holiday everyone! Enjoy it!

9 Christina Twardowski November 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

I joined Plante Moran in September and have been thankful ever since for this opportunity. I’m thrilled to be a part of such an incredible company.

10 Cindy Lemire November 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

I am thankful for the opportunity to become a part of the Plante & Moran family in July when my previous employer of 10 years went out of business. Becoming welcomed and befriended by the staff made my first few months here all the more special.

I’m also thankful for my husband, my step daughter and the rest of my family and friends for making life worth getting up for every day.

And unlike Kevin James, I am thankful for the wonderful creation of leggings and dresses to be worn at Thanksgiving dinner every year so I don’t have to feel sorry for my pants. :)