Like No Other Day of the Year

by Gordon Krater on December 18, 2012

I love the holidays at Plante Moran. That “most wonderful time of the year” spirit is in full effect, as teams and offices gather for holiday parties and celebrations. There’s this feeling of excitement as staff prepare to take some much-deserved time off to spend with family and friends. My favorite day of the year, every year, is the last work day before Christmas Eve. That look of anticipation on the faces of Plante Moran staff, whether they’re taking off two days or two weeks, is indescribable. It’s like no other day of the year. I always make sure I’m in the office on that day, just so I get to share in the joy.

I, too, am taking some time off this year. I’m looking forward to our traditional Polish dinner on Christmas Eve, my favorite meal of the year. From the sharing of the oplatek (a wafer we break into pieces and share with each other, extending good wishes along the way) to the much-slaved-over pierogies, it’s a joy to behold. After Christmas, our entire family is going up to Northern Michigan, including our baby grandson and our 12-week old Portuguese Water Dog, Wally (who is a handful!). I’m looking forward to a week of snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and just relaxing by the fire with a couple of good books.

As this is my last entry of 2012, I’d like to thank all of you for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog. One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2013 is to entice more of you into making comments. That said, what are you looking forward to this holiday season? And what resolutions are you making for 2013?

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Chris Burden December 21, 2012 at 11:29 am

Favorite things about the holidays… Baking cookies with my daughter and sharing laughter & love with my family and friends. I feel blessed each day to have them in my life!

2 Mike Bajis December 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm

As always, I’m looking forward to spending quality time with family. This year, I’m really looking forward to creating the best smoked turkey ever!

3 Dawn Stark December 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm

My favorite part of this season is spending time with my family-new and old. This year will be very special as my 4 year old son is patiently waiting for the magic of Santa and the sharing and giving that comes along with it.

4 Sandi Pope December 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Happy Holidays! I would just like to say that I am looking foward to spending time with my two beautiful grandchildren, Paige and Hunter. I cannot wait to hug and kiss them and to say a silent prayer. I thank God that they are both healthy and safe. My thoughts are with the Grandparents of the students from Sandy Hook Elementary. I will hold Paige and Hunter a little tighter this year.

5 Mary Ida Garcia December 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Enjoying the christmas countdown with my 5-year old as his excitement is priceless!!

6 pat bostic December 21, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I love the Christmas season, the time spent with family and friends, but I especially love the spiritual gifts we receive, sometimes from strangers.
there is a different feeling during the holidays, being thankful for each and every blessing.

7 Pam December 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm

My favorite part of the Christmas season the overall good cheer. Music, bells, laughing, singing, and lots of smiles.

8 Pam December 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm

My favorite part of the Christmas season the overall good cheer, as evidanced by music, bells, laughing, singing, and lots of smiles.

9 Margarete Chalker December 24, 2012 at 6:20 am

A parent of an MSU freshman, I am truly enjoying having Katie home over her break and being able to spend time with her over the next couple of weeks. It doesn’t matter if her dorm is right next to the East Lansing office (it is) or if we had to fly her home from school; it is different once our kids leave home and I cherish this time together. Katie and I will watch a lot of football while Steve wonders how he “lucked out” with two football nuts like us!

Resolutions for 2013: Let Go and Let God; run a 10K; watch a game at Lambeau. (Go Pack Go!) Also, find time to read like you do, Gordon.

All the best in 2013 to you and yours!

10 Denise Miller December 31, 2012 at 9:05 am

Happy Holidays! Christmas season is wonderful time for me each year. It is great to see friends, family and spending extra time with my sons. This is a time a year that I count my blessings and give to others even more so.